Some people work better under pressure. But for me, whenever I’m under too much stress, my mind wanders from one task to another and I find it difficult to focus.
A couple of weeks ago I attended a meetup where there was some talk about personal productivity. It made me realize to things: 1) in order to be productive & focused, I have to keep my stress level under control and 2) I already have my own personal tips and tricks for doing that. Here is what I usually do:
1) Get a good night sleep. I’m a nightmare when I don’t get enough sleep and I make a ton of mistakes. Of course, every person is different, some might need more or less hours compared to others. For me, 8 hours is the norm.
2) Don’t work late in the evenings. I stop working with a minimum of 2-3 hours before going to sleep. There were exceptions, which I regretted, because my mind wasn’t able to disconnect and transformed everything into a night of insomnia.
3) Read novels. I like reading books of all kinds, but I prefer novels because I can dive into the story and not think about anything else.
4) Going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I’ve been doing this for years because it’s not only good for my health, but I also enjoy it, it induces that kind of tiredness that makes you feel satisfied and relaxed. No matter if it’s the gym, rollerblading in the park, playing tennis or swimming, this kind of activities are a great way to free your mind and just enjoy the moment.
5) Playing with my cat. He is so good at demanding attention and when he plays he does it with his entire being. I can’t help it and I smile or laugh whenever I witness his enthusiasm. I’m sure every pet cat or dog has its own ways of cheering up their “parents” :).
So there you have it, my personal & very mundane list of how I keep stress under control :).